Are you wondering if the gold piece you have is genuine gold jewelry or just pot metal? Here is an easy way to verify it without going to a pawn shop or to a jeweler. The authenticity of gold can be easily tested with simple ingredients and equipment you commonly have in your home.
Steps for Testing Gold Jewelry
1. Rub the gold item with a clean wash cloth to remove any contaminants, dirt, or dust.If there is some persistent grease or dirt, eliminate it by wetting the wash cloth and scrubbing the item until it comes off.
2. With an eye dropper, put a couple drops of vinegar on your gold item. Use a small pot to put the gold in if you are dealing with a small piece, for the vinegar to remain in contact with it.
3. Keep an eye out for any changes to the gold item.As a stable metal, gold will have no reaction to oxygen corroding. Vinegar will not change its color, as gold is a stable metal. If you notice any color changes, the gold item is not actually gold. When exposed to vinegar, a gold plate will turn black.
4. Remove the vinegar by spraying the piece with water or running it under cool water.
5. Dry the gold by rubbing it with a soft and clean cloth. The vinegar test will cause no damage to your real gold items.
Gold Testing Kit for the Home.
If you would like to still do your own testing at home. This is the very same kit that we use at the store.
This Gold test kit is a $55 value and here is what you get for your peace of mind.
One Bottle of 10k, 14k & 18k Gold Acid Testing Solutions
Only a small drop is needed to test, so you will get hundreds of tests out of each bottle! This testing kit solutions is able to tell You the purity of precious Bullion Nuggets, Ingots, Bars & Gold Coins, and gold jewelry.
2×2″ Pro Testing Stone
Plus a wooden box just made to safe keep your acid testing solutions!
Act Now And Save Money!!!
Diamond Tester Kit That I Use
ML Lamp is the owner of Kilroy Was Here. After his 20 years of working in Las Vegas in the entertainment promotions field, Mr. Lamp retired in 2002 from his job to pursue his passion for collectibles. Now as a guest speaker and author he’s living the dream, and sharing his warmth with You.